Thanks for your interesting comments regards the animated name JEREMY.. Regards you saying the left upright of R shoud be thicker, since first reading your comments, I forgot you said 'thicker' and went to change it - and have made it thinner! Initially I thought it was going to be an extremely easy fix of altering the parameter value of the thickness, w, of the upright of R from w=1.55 to 1.4. The problem is the way I've designed the R, a lot of things are dependent on w. For example, the radius of the two semicircles change - the smaller w, the chunkier the curved portion becomes. I thought your comment about the R interesting, because I did have issues with the R - but not because of the upright thickness! i thought the outer ( & inner ?) radius of the R were too big and didn't quite match up with the other sections of the R - but now I'm beginning to think it might be astigmatism, or failing eyesight on my part! The lesson I've learnt is that designing things with Maple is to break the problem down into smaller independent chunks - something I could have done with the R. Another problem with the R is that the stalk is of width w at the foot: it should really be of the same width! As the stalk kicks the ball it gets thinner. It is possibly imperceptible for small angles, but I'd like the ball to have a good kick!
...so a rewrite of the R seems to be the case. Designing the letters has given me more admiration for the people who design fonts: it is not as easy as I had first imagined.
Similarly with the football. The code for that was for the name KEITH, where the K kicked the ball betwee the uprights of the H. The ball didn't quite go high enough, so I cheated, and instead of making the ball go higher, I altered the height of the bar of the H! ...not quite so easy with an American goalpost! I'll try and rewrite a 'ball' procedure so the ball travels in a parabolic arc - relatively easy to do. I was originall quite pleased with my initial ball coding as the ball rotated while travelling through the air. Problems arose when one studied its projectory - it went haywire!
The speed of the transformation of Y. The above problems I think I can handle, but the speed of transformation of Y may be beyond my ken. Initially I thought the problem easy - just reduce the number of frames from 48 to say, 24, and the speed of transformation is increased. The problem is that the Y is complete and in its place is blank. (This is a general problem in developing a name - all the letters have to be synchronised with roughly the same number of frames.). To get round this I was thinking of doing something similar to the coding of the M in JEREMY, where I had a list of frames to make the M go up and down. For the Y the first few frames could be the animation of the Y morphing into a goal post, and the remaining frames are padded out with a fixed frame of the goalpost. It would be nice to reverse the morphing to go back to a Y after the ball has passed through the posts: this would make the animation 'blip free' in the Continuous mode. I'd appreciate your feedback regards my ideas on the speed of the Y - but no doubt you have several more methods of doing it !:-)
I recently did a name THANE ... as in Shakespeare's Macbeth, Thane of Cawdor. The person's name is ETHAN - I'm thinking they'll think I've got their name wrong - as I've written a program for the E to translate from the end to the beginning. I did that as a precursor to another name CAMERON, which is an anagram of 'Romance'.
I'm also looking for ideas for a a golfing theme, as I have a friend ROBERT who is a keen golfer... but I'm short on ideas of how to incorporate his name - BOB, ROB - into a golf theme. I had thought of the letter L as a putter hitting a golf ball - but there's no L in his name:-(
Thanks again for your feedback. David.