C_R

4039 Reputation

21 Badges

7 years, 8 days

MaplePrimes Activity


These are replies submitted by C_R

@Jean-Michel 
Maybe the virtual machine of JAVA_VERSION="21.0.4" is not compatible with the Windows experimental built. However, Java 21 is supposedly from July 2024 which makes it unlikely that there is a Java difference between Maple 2026.0 and 2026.1.
My Windows built is different from yours and I could not reproduce anything reported here. Maple 2026 is now running for 4 days without any unresponsiviness. Maybe it is because of hibernation settings which never let the PC run for a "long time". The open file issue might be related but sounds different from what you are experiencing. 

 

A few more things you could try:
- reset the graphics adapter (Nvidia control center)

- change Nvidia settings (this is trial and error)

- under Windows there are now advanced graphics adapter settings for gaming and hardware acceleration. Turn them on and off to see if it makes any difference.

Note: Your machine is a beast in terms of hardware installed. I envy you. This configuration is rare and might produce errors no one here can reproduce. Unfortunately, you cannot switch to an internal graphic card as it is possible with Intel. For Maple I could not see a difference between internal and external graphics adapter. So I let Windows now manage which graphics adapter to be used. 

If a fresh installation of Maple 2026 was unsuccessful, I would contact support and work with an older version in the meantime. I run
 

which uses the former user interface but has the math of 2025.2 

The best Maple version so far, IMO.

By the way, MMA uses Qt for their UI. I do not think that managers will take the risk of rewriting the Maple UI again after the ribbon project. That is heavy lifting Java specialized software engineers will have a hard time dealing with (and Qt comes with its own challenges). I cross fingers that this is a bug that can and will be fixed and not something related to Javas virtual machine (which communicates with Windows) and/or the runtime environment. Who knows. At least there are more recent Java versions to be tried which hopefully will fix “my” graphics glitches.
 

@lemelinm

Quite powerfull, see ?plot,colorscheme,gradient

xx := 2.5;
yy := 2.5;
a := plot3d(exp(-x^2 - y^2), x = -xx .. xx, y = -yy .. yy, colorscheme = ["zgradient", ["blue", green, "yellow", "red"], zrange = 0 .. 1]):
b := plots:-spacecurve([x, yy, exp(-x^2)], x = -xx .. xx, color = blue):
c := plots:-spacecurve([xx, y, exp(-y^2)], y = -yy .. yy, color = red):
plots:-display([a, b, c], orientation = [-120, 60, 0]);

Looks better now without the pink:

 

[Blue, Cyan, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red] with Lighting  "Light 1"

@dharr

The "alt way" allows to control all menu items via the keyboard. This is fine and a feature not available with the former UI. However, its also much slower than Crtl-O. 
@vv

The "alt way" seems to be similar to what is available in MS Office. If Maplesoft plans to adopt other UI features from MS Office there is hope that we can expect some speed improvements. At the moment there is still too much mouse movements, tab switching and clicks.
My hope is that Maple employees do something for themselves. Even with improved usability for an efficient use of Maple the good old speedy short-cuts make sense. I hope they will not disappear. Until then I am not ribboning.

Your problem leaves room for interpretation:
Is the closed wire loop fixed to an inertial frame of reference?

Or: Are the beads constrained by the loop in motion but can exchange forces via the loop?  (I see here a few problems when the loop is massless)

I am getting this error so I cannot run your worksheet.

@nm 
On my machine I find in the jre folder of the 2026.1 installation: JAVA_VERSION="21.0.4"

The AI answer somehow makes sense but the JDK is only one part of the story. The other part is the Java IDE (integrated developement environement) under which the UI was developed. Many of the UI glitches (like submenus not working after hibernation) appread with the change to Eclipse (some might have dissapeared). 
Theoretically, the IDE should not influence a program bevavior but perhaps with the change to Eclipse configuration seetings to the operating system changed as well.
I see indeed 3 times more virtual memory allocated with Maple 2020 after start. However, if more memory used is the price to pay for a stable UI then I would go for it. UI glitches of a commercial product should be fixed. I do not have this with any other application.


The question is now:
Has the JAVA version changed from 2026.0 to 2026.1?

@GED 
When I open the above worksheet with Maple 2026 all formating looks fine. Excecuting the worksheet throws this error

After execution has finished, the output has changed to what you described.

Inspecting the context pannel shows that Number format is set to None right from the beginning. So the chaos is caused by no formating at all. Formating simply not working for some reason.

By the way, formating worked with Maple 2025...

This is not the only report on formating not working as before.

Could you provided a sample worksheet made with an older version with "correct" formating?
This will help to reprocude what you observe and check in upcomming Maple version for improvements.

@sursumCorda 

Excellent (case handling&recursion)! I am keen to see other ways (including AI solutions if they are labeld as such).
Using ifelse we can make a (harder to understand) onliner out of it.

undo_apply:=(e::Non(atomic)) -> ifelse(e::indexable,thisproc~(e),ifelse(e::'composition',e,op(0,e)@`if`(e::anyfunc(function),thisproc(op(1,e)),NULL))):

undo_apply(ln(sinh(z)));
undo_apply([f(g(h(x), x)), f(g(x)(h(x))), f(g(D(x))), f(g(h(x)()))])

For clarity, I prefer this variant without the warning

undo_apply := (e::Non(atomic)) -> 
	if e::indexable then 
		thisproc~(e);
	elif e::'composition' then 
		e;
	else 
		op(0,e)@`if`(e::anyfunc(function),thisproc(op(1,e)),NULL);
	fi:

@sursumCorda 
Formaly I would say yes.
However, I did not think that far to use an argument inside a function composition.
This challenges my imagingation. The only Maple function I know that could fit for g into your example that uses two pairs of parentheses is D. 
What else could make sense?

@sursumCorda 

The desired output is inside the first pair of parentheses of the rhs of the below equations. The argument of the function applications is in the second pair of parentheses

f(g(h(x), x))=(f@g)(h(x),x);
f(g(x)(h(x)))=(f)(g(x)*h(x));# not a function composition
f(g(D(x)))=(f@d@D)(x);
f(g(h(x)()))=(f@g@h(x))()

I assume you know the connetion of the above to apply

op(0..1,'(f@g)(h(x),x)');
apply(%)

@Carl Love 

I tried entering tags in the message editor in the past but observed after saving a draft that newly entered tags were not listed. So tags are only added after sending.

I will give it another try.

Thank you

@sand15

I have tried "Deep Research" (GTP 5.6 EU) to get the anual profiles of questions asked per month to better identify AI effects.

This did not work. AI took a long time to give a negative answer and proposed what I could do instead. Apparently, HTML tags that identify the publication date, which are retrievable for a human through a web browser, were not retrievable by the deep researcher.

Apart from that I share the frustration caused by the negative impact of AI on user communities in general and in particular on MaplePrimes.

We risk losing the beauty of elegant Maple coding from humans for humans and replacing it with flat and voluminous Phyton/C implementations translated directly to Maple. The next generation of Maple users will not learn from AI how to exploit the strength of Maple. Maple risks becoming an ordinary and replaceable product.

At least, MapleAI could apart from the disclaimer that answers could be wrong also mention MaplePrimes as a resource from time to time.

You normally need a license code to install Maple 2024 and a Maplesoft Product Download Link. See here for details:
https://www.maplesoft.com/support/downloads/index.aspx

If you have a valid license Maplesoft might give you access to older versions but for this you have to contact them, because each version of Maple comes with a separate license code.

@Ronan 
Strange. I cannot do this. When I right click on running instances of Maple in the task bar, I only get the option to close the window. Other applications can be pinned. Maybe I can't do this because the applications are pinned to the start menu.

I any case, I do not see why pinning to the task bar should make a difference to pinning to the start menu (which allows chaning the kernel mode on my installation)

@Ronan 

You could try it manually by setting  in the ini file
C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\Maple\<version>\Maple.ini

If you can't find the ini file there it is stored where Maple is installed and it is only changeable if you start Maple as Admin.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last Page 1 of 83