@acer Yes, I have four different instances of the pair of tables Beams and Beams2. What I did not elaborate on was that they are generated by the same code, but from different input conditions. These runs are proceeding in parallel on different cores of the same machine. I use something like maple -c BeamIndex:=1 <programfile> when I start the runs (with obviously different values for BeamIndex). This is how I generate the filenames. Since these processes run in parallel, using separate files avoids access clashes that would be unavoidable if all processes wrote to the same file.
I suppose I could generate different variable names and use assign to generate them, but I don't like doing that, debugging that is always a PITA.
Yes, I think your suggested additional tables is probably the way to go. I have also been thinking about using doubly indexed tables e.g. BeamTable[procno,turnno]. But your proposal may be easier to do & implement. The reason I asked is so I could avoid missing a nearby solution I wasn't aware of... but it does not look like there is.
Incidentally; this is now going way beyond my original aim. Originally (when I asked my pervious question) I wanted to separate the CPU-heavy part from the graphics (visualization) part. Once I got that going I realized that I had a framework for running the CPU-heavy part in parallel on my MacPro. Splitting the job & running it works; my challenge is to get access to the results (and I know using LibraryTools:-Browse() that the results are there in the way I anticipate them to be).
Anyway, thanks much for your insight,